The security of University vehicles and their contents is the drivers’ responsibility.
Vehicles, when left unattended for any reason, must have the keys removed, the windows tightly closed and the doors locked to prevent unauthorized use or theft of the vehicle or its contents. On campus, University Police check the security of parked, unattended University vehicles on a twenty-four hour basis and the following procedures are implemented when violations are found:
- Car unlocked when the keys in ignition
- Officer will bring vehicle to Transportation Services
- Transportation Services will contact the offender's department during business hours by phone or mail
- Car unlocked with credit card in vehicle
- Officer will remove credit card and lock vehicle if possible.
- Transportation Services will contact the person assigned the vehicle during business hours by phone or mail
- Vehicle unlocked with no keys or credit card.
- Officer will lock vehicle if possible, and leave a vehicle security reminder.
- Vehicles, which are blocking drives or illegally parked on University property.
- Officer will try to locate the driver and have the vehicle removed.
- Officer will ticket violators if unable to locate driver.
- If offense occurs repeatedly, vehicle will be taken to Transportation Services
- Transportation Services will contact the offender's department during business hours by phone or memo.
- Vehicles parked in Handicapped zone or restricted parking space will be ticketed and transported to Transportation Services