Departments requiring special equipment on Transportation Services vehicles must coordinate these requirements with Transportation Services Management. Approval of Transportation Services must take place prior to any installation or commitment for installation. Departmental vehicle coordinators will arrange for special equipment on department owned vehicles. For Transportation Services vehicles, special equipment acquisition and installation can be handled in one of the following ways:
- Purchased and installed by the Transportation Services with all special equipment costs charged to the requesting department and rental rates remaining as published.
- Purchased and installed by Transportation Services with the rental rate increased to recover the additional expense.
- Purchased and installed by the department. Upon termination of the lease and subsequent return of the vehicle to Transportation Services, the vehicle will be restored to its original configuration by the user or, if the user desires, by Transportation Services with cost of restoration charged to the department.
Any department having requirements for special vehicles or special equipment installed on existing rental vehicles must initiate a request in writing to Transportation Services. Please include the following information:
- Type of vehicle (and unit number if known)
- Special equipment needed
- Suggested vendor
- Approximate cost
- Anticipated length of use
- Overall justification for purchase and use
Requests should be made as soon as possible in order to afford adequate time for approval, vehicle or special equipment procurement, and installation of the special equipment.
Note: No roof mounted devices for cargo; luggage or observation platforms are allowed without previously written authorization from Transportation services. Departments will be billed the entire cost of repairs from damage caused by the use of roof mounted devices.
Rental vehicles (excluding pickups) will not be used for towing without prior authorization from Transportation Services